Gungo peas and rice is a variation of traditional Rice and Peas. However, instead of kidney beans, gungo peas (also called pigeon peas) are used. This version uses creamed coconut which can be found at tropical grocers and some supermarkets. However, you can also make it with coconut milk. For the same recipe using coconut milk instead of coconut cream, go to Jamaican Rice and Peas Recipe and use gungo peas instead.
Foolproof Tip: All the liquid for this recipe – water and liquid from beans – should add up to 4 cups
- 1 can (19oz) Gungo peas (also called pigeon peas), including liquid
- 19-oz Water
- ⅓ pkg Creamed coconut
- 1 Small onion or 2 stalks scallion, chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 1½ to 2 tsp Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp Pepper
- ½ cup Water
- 2 cups Long grain rice (rinsed and drained)
- Empty canned gungo peas and liquid into a large saucepan.
- Fill empty can with water and pour in saucepan.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper
- Add creamed coconut and ½ cup water and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and boil on High for 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to Low, and cook covered until all water is absorbed (about 15 to 20 min).
- Fluff with fork before serving.