Watch our step-by-step video for this recipe below
Jamaican Cabbage and Saltfish: This is a quick and easy all-purpose recipe. That’s because you can have it for breakfast, lunch or dinner! It has been an easy go-to recipe of mine for years. Even when I don’t have a chance to soak the salted cod overnight, it is still easy enough to boil it a few times to get rid of some the salt.
Let’s call it a Jamaican stirfry! For breakfast or lunch you can pair it with hardough bread, boiled green bananas or festival. It goes well with white rice for dinner. Whatever way you enjoy it … enjoy it!
1lb Salted Codfish
1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
4 to 5 strips Bacon, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
1 Tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Hot Pepper Sauce
1 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup
1lb or approx. 4 cups thickly sliced Cabbage
1/3 cup water
1. Soak codfish in saucepan overnight; drain water.
2. Add fresh water and boil for 2 minutes; drain codfish and rinse.
3. Flake codfish into small pieces and set aside
4. Pour oil in frying pan and fry bacon until crisp on Medium-High heat
5. Remove bacon and fry onion and tomato in bacon oil on Medium heat
6. Add salt, black pepper, pepper sauce and ketchup to onion and tomatoes and stir
7. Fold in cabbage, add water, cover and simmer on Low for 3 to 4 minutes until cabbage is wilted
8. Fold in codfish and bacon, cover and simmer on Low for 2 to 3 minutes.
Sprinkle with black pepper and serve white rice, boiled green bananas or festival