Toto is a coconut spice cake. It’s not fancy but really good. When my kids were young it was a sweet treat that I’d add to their lunch bag. Today I make it for most family gatherings. A traditional Toto doesn’t include raisins, but I like to add them and some rum for extra flavour and texture. Try my recipe … it’s so easy and delicious!
3 cups All-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups Brown sugar
1 1/2 cups Desiccated (unsweetened) or freshly grated coconut
3 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Ground ginger
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Raisins (optional)
2 Eggs, well beaten
2 cups Milk
1/2 cup Butter, melted
1 tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
1 Tbsp Jamaican rum (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 F
1. In a large bowl mix together all dry ingredients.
2. Beat eggs and milk together and add melted butter.
3. Add vanilla and rum (optional).
4. Add above liquid to bowl with dry ingredients mix until blended. Do not over mix.
5. Place batter in a greased oblong baking dish (about 13″ x 8″) and bake at 350F for 1 hour.
Cool on rack in baking dish and cut into squares.
Video Lesson: Gold Members click below to watch us make this recipe step by step.