Jamaican Callaloo Fritters are something new for us. We came across a recipe and had to try it. We made some adjustments by adding red bell pepper and tomato, and this recipe is easily made vegetarian (just omit the bacon) or substitute the bacon for some saltfish if you want a more traditional Jamaican Saltfish Fritter. The addition of callaloo takes Jamaican fritters to another level of deliciousness. You can use fresh or canned callaloo, which is easier to find outside of Jamaica. Either way we think you’ll love this recipe!
3 oz Bacon (optional)
1 cup (325 mL) Callaloo, drained
1 small Tomato, finely chopped
3 Tbsp (45 mL) Red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 medium Onion
2 tsp (10 mL) Pepper sauce
1 Tbsp (15 mL) Tomato ketchup
1 tsp (5 mL) Dried thyme
1/2 tsp (2 mL) Black pepper
1 tsp Salt (5 mL)
1 cup (250 mL) Water
1 1/3 cup (325 mL) Flour
1/2 cup (125 mL) Vegetable oil (for frying)
1. Canned callaloo: use strainer or colander to drain liquid
2. Fresh callaloo: Chop 2 cups fresh callaloo, steam and drain to make 1 cup.
3. Substitute Saltfish for bacon: Soak 6-oz salted cod for 4 hours in cold water to remove some of the salt. Drain and break or cut into small pieces.
1. Chop bacon in small pieces and fry until crisp; set aside
2. Mix tomato, red pepper, onion, pepper sauce, ketchup, thyme, salt and black pepper together in a bowl. Fold in bacon.
3. Add 1 cup of water to mixture and stir
4. Add flour and mix to make batter
5. Pour vegetable oil into non-stick frying pan and heat on High
6. Fry fritters in hot oil; when golden brown and crispy flip to other side and fry until golden brown
7. Drain fritters on plate lined with paper towel; serve warm
Makes 10 to 12 fritters
The Fay Way: Gold Members click below to watch me cook this recipe step by step.