Rice and peas is a staple in Jamaican cuisine. It’s a dish that’s a tradition on most Sunday tables. What most people call beans we call peas, and this recipe uses red peas, or what you may know as kidney beans. You’ll need to soak the dried peas overnight to reconstitute them and then cook them for about 1 hour to use them in this recipe. Cooking the peas from “scratch” is the traditional way to make rice and peas, but for those with less time on your hands I have Quick Jamaican Rice and Peas Recipe that won’t disappoint. Coconut is an important ingredient and I love to use creamed coconut. However, If you can’t find it where you shop you can substitute 1 cup of the water for 1 cup of coconut milk to get the same aromatic result. If you want to cook like a Jamaican you need to know how to make Classic Rice and Peas! Enjoy!
3/4 cup Dried Kidney Beans
4 cups Water
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
1/2 package Creamed Coconut
1 Small onion or 2 stalks escallion, chopped
2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Dried Thyme
A few slices Scotch Bonnet Pepper
2 cups Long Grain or Basmati Rice (rinsed and drained)
Soak Kidney beans in 2 cups of water overnight
1. Place garlic, kidney beans and water they were soaked in into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to Medium and continue cooking until the beans are soft, about 1 hour
2. Add coconut cream and stir until dissolved
3. Add chopped onion, salt, black pepper to saucepan and stir in thyme and scotch bonnet pepper
4. Stir in rice and remaining 2 cups of water and bring to a boil
5. Turn heat to Low, cover pot and cook until all water is absorbed (about 15 to 20 min).
6. Fluff up rice with fork before serving.
Makes 8 Servings
Video Lesson: Gold Members click below to watch us make this recipe step by step.