When I was growing up in Jamaica curry goat was cooked for special occasions. This recipe using chicken is one I cook as an everyday meal. In Jamaica most people use tomatoes in their curry recipe, but I prefer to use red and green bell peppers instead, and a tablespoon of ketchup and West Indian pepper sauce to add some zip!
Serving Suggestion: Curry chicken is traditionally served with steamed white rice or Jamaican rice and peas along with a salad.
4lbs Chicken, chopped in small pieces (remove skin)
2 Tbsp Lemon juice (for washing chicken)
3 tsp Salt
3/4 tsp Black pepper
6 tbsp Curry Powder (access the best curry powder now)
4 Cloves garlic, chopped finely
1/4 Small red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/4 Small green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 Large cooking onion, chopped
2 Tbsp Cooking oil
1 tsp Cumin seeds, not powder (optional)
1 tsp Dried thyme or 1 sprig fresh thyme
1 Tbsp Tomato ketchup
1 Tbsp West Indian hot pepper sauce (optional)
3 cups Water
2 Medium potatoes, cut in 6 pieces each
Cut and wash chicken: Cut chicken into serving pieces (not too small) and remove and discard skin. Pour lemon juice over chicken, wash in cold water, drain well and dry with paper towel
Season chicken with 2tsp salt, black pepper, 3 Tbsp of curry powder and chopped garlic; put chicken in fridge for 1 hour to absorb spices
1. Add cooking oil to saucepan and heat on High; saute cumin seeds for 1/2 minute
then add chopped onion, green and red bell peppers,
2. Add thyme, pepper sauce, 3 Tbsp curry powder, 1 tsp salt and tomato ketchup; sauce onion and peppers until just tender
3. Add 1 cup of boiling water and, when sauce is boiling, add chicken. Fold in chicken until it is well covered with sauce and seasonings; add 1 1/2 cups of boiling water; cover and bring to a rolling boil
4. Lower heat to medium, add potatoes and add 1/2 cup water, cover and simmer (slow boil) until chicken is tender and sauce thickens (about 1/2 hour)
5. Taste and adjust with salt, if needed.
Video Lesson: Gold Members click below to watch us make this recipe step by step.