Jamaican Gingerbread is made with our favourite baking spices! In addition to ginger you’ll use cinnamon, pimento, nutmeg and clove. The trick to making an authentic Jamaican gingerbread is using blackstrap molasses if you can find it. It’s dark and slightly bitter and pairs perfectly with the spices. Also, use dark brown or Demerara sugar. The less refined these two ingredients are the better. This recipe makes 2 loaves or your can make one round cake if you prefer. We like to make gingerbread and serve it warm with vanilla ice cream!
1 cup (250 mL) packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup (175 mL) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup (175 mL) molasses
1 cup (250 mL) boiling water
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
4 tsp (20 mL) ground ginger
2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground pimento (allspice)
1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cloves
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 (8×4-inch) loaf pans with shortening or cooking spray; set aside.
1. In mixing bowl, beat brown sugar and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat well.
3. In small bowl, stir molasses and water until well mixed; beat into brown sugar mixture.
4. I large bowl blend flour with baking soda, baking powder and spices.
5. Gradually add dry ingredient to the mixing bowl and beat until well blended.
6. Spoon batter evenly into baking pans and bake about 30 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Baking time will depend on much batter is in the loaf pan.
7. Cool in pans on cooling rack 15 minutes; remove from pans. Serve warm with ice cream or cool completely and store. Storage tip: Wrap tightly and store in refrigerator
Video Lesson: Gold Members click below to watch us make this recipe step by step.