Whether you do or don’t like Liver and Onions you’ve got to try my recipe! You won’t be disappointed. Because Jamaica is hot and tropical most Jamaicans prefer to cook meat until it’s dead, dead, dead. However, since living abroad I’ve learned that overcooking meat is not the way to go. As it turns out, you can cook it well-done without turning it to leather and then adding gravy for moisture.
Never is this more true than when cooking Liver and Onions. My trick for cooking tender Liver and Onions is to cook it quick! Yes, it’s that simple. Of course the seasonings I use in my recipe also makes it flavourful and you can add as little or a much pepper as you want. Also, before you cook it you must prepare the liver properly so that you’re only using the most tender pieces.
1 1/2 lbs of Beef Liver
1 tsp (5 mL) Salt
1 tsp (5 mL) Black Pepper
1 tsp (5 mL) Cooking Oil
1 1/2 large Onions, sliced
1 tsp (5 mL) Dried Thyme or 1 sprig Fresh Thyme
1 tsp (5 mL) Hot Pepper Sauce
1 Tbsp (15 mL) Steak Sauce (A1 or HP)
1/4 cup (45 mL) Boiling Water
1. Prepare liver by peeling away grey membranes, washing and patting dry
2. Season liver with salt and black pepper
3. Heat cooking oil in frying pan on High
4. Add liver to the pan and turn over after 2 minutes
5. Add onions to the pan on top of liver
6. Stir in thyme, pepper sauce, steak sauce and water, keep stirring until onions are transparent
7. Simmer covered for 2 minutes
The Fay Way: Liver and Onions is delicious for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Watch my video to learn how to cook tender Liver & Onions and hear my recommendations on what to serve with your Jamaican-style Liver and Onions.
Gold Members click below to watch me cook this recipe step by step.