This recipe for oven-baked spare ribs is a family favourite! That’s because it makes spare ribs that are fall-off-the-bone tender, smothered in sauce and full of flavour. Who says you need a barbecue grill to make delicious BBQ Spare Ribs? Opposed to dry ribs they might be better describes as smothered. Yes, smothered with a homemade sauce that is so simple to make!
Spare Ribs Ingredients
3lbs Side Pork Ribs
If you don’t have time to marinate the meat overnight use the Quick Marinate Seasonings method
Quick Marinate (Marinate for at least 1 hour)
2 tsp (10 mL) Garlic Powder
2 tsp (10 mL) Onion Powder
1 tsp (5 mL) Salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) Black Pepper
1 Tbsp (15 mL) Soy Sauce
Fay’s BBQ Sauce
3/4 cup (190 mL) Ketchup
1 Tbsp (15 mL) Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp (15 mL) Strawberry Jam
1 Tbsp (15 mL) Orange Marmalade
1 Tbsp (15 mL) Dijon Mustard
1 tsp (15 mL) West Indian Hot Pepper Sauce
1 cup (250 mL) Water
Cooking Tip: If you don’t have marmalade, use 2 Tbsp of strawberry (or fruit jam) and add 1 tsp of lemon juice
1. Marinate ribs overnight or for at least one hour in seasonings.
2. Place ribs in baking pan and broil each side 5 minutes to render off fat
3. In the meantime, in saucepan combine all ingredients for sauce and bring to a boil
4. Remove pan from oven and, if needed, drain fat
5 Pour sauce over ribs, place aluminum foil over pan and bake in 360°F oven for 30 mins.
6. Remove foil and put pan back in oven for another 30 to 45 minutes or until ribs and tender and sauce is thickened.
7. If you want a thicker sauce remove the ribs from that pan and pour the sauce in to a sauce pan and bring to a boil then turn do to low and simmer until your reach the desired thickness.
8. Place ribs back in baking pan and pour sauce over ribs
Video Lesson: Gold Members click below to watch us make this recipe step by step.