“Cook Up” or Seasoned Rice is exactly what it sounds like. Seasoned rice with lots of great ingredients packed into it. I guess you could say it’s the Jamaican version of Fried Rice. When I was growing up my mother would use salted pork instead of bacon, but otherwise most of the other ingredients are the same. If you’re not able to get your hands on Jamaican pumpkin then butternut squash makes a good substitute. I used to make this dish a lot for my own family when my kids were young. It’s a great go-to recipe because it so quick and easy. Perfect for a Friday night when you just want to throw a meal together.
8-oz Salted cod fish
2 Tbsp Cooking oil
8 oz Bacon, chopped
1 med Onion chopped
¼ each Red and Green bell pepper, chopped
2 cups Jamaican pumpkin or butternut squash, cut in small chunks
2 cups Cabbage, chopped
2 cups Hot water
1 tsp Hot pepper sauce
1 Tbsp Ketchup
2 cups Long-Grain or Basmati Rice
1. Soak salted cod for 4 hours in cold water to remove some of the salt. Drain and break or cut into small pieces; set aside
2. Heat oil in saucepan. Add bacon to pan and fry until lightly crisp; remove from pan and set aside
3. Add onion, tomato, and red and green bell peppers and stir fry for 1 min
4. Add pumpkin, cabbage and stir. Add hot water, bacon, salted cod, hot pepper sauce and ketchup; stir and season to taste with black pepper and salt
5. Add rice and stir gently; bring everything to a boil then lower heat to minimum; cover and steam until rice is cooked. Note: A bit more water maybe needed depending on the rice used.
6. When rice is cooked fluff with fork and serve
Video Lesson: Gold Members click below to watch us make this recipe step by step.